Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chicken Mandu

The mixture looks like this.

My tray of beauties. The recipe made 54 total.

Unlike traditional potstickers, I like to flip them and brown on both sides

Out of the pan and ready to eat.

Delicious!

I was checking out some food blogs last week and found one with a mandu (korean dumpling) recipe. I was dying to try it ever since. Last night, on my way home, I went to Metro at 10:30 at night to buy my necessary ingredients. I had the recipe written all out. I was buying a few other things too. As I was heading to the frozen vegetable section to buy my frozen spinach I got distracted by Haagen-Dazs on sale...(It was $3.99 for pints and bars!) Anyway, my detour made me forget all about the spinach...Damn!
After a lazy day, doing nothing in particular except lamenting the fact that I couldn't make the mandu recipe without the spinach, I showered (I was not leaving the house in that condition) and headed to Loblaws. A couple of hours later...I am so full. The mandu was delicious. I was very pleasantly surprised. Definitely a go to recipe.


Daisy's Mandu
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp fresh crushed garlic (I finely minced then mashed with the edge of my knife)
1 tsp ground black pepper (It sounds like a lot but it was just right)
1/2 tsp fresh ginger juice ( I couldn't squeeze much juice so I zested a little less)
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/5 cup (scant) soy sauce
1 extra large egg, separated
1/2 cup finely minced scallions, sauteed until bright and fragrant, cooled to room temp.
5oz (140grams) frozen spinach leaves, thawed, lightly drained (don't squeeze it so much that all you have left is fiber)
plain, fine white breadcrumbs
1 lb ground chicken
1 pkg wonton or gyoza wrappers
canola oil
water
In a medium bowl, I mixed the first 6 ingredients together, then the scallions, spinach leaves and chicken. Add the egg yolk to bind, and mix (reserve the egg white in a separate bowl). Add a little breadcrumbs until moisture is something you can only sense (and hear) but can't see.

The wonton wrapper will have one side that looks more floured than the other, gently drape half of the wonton wrapper across the top of the egg white so that only half of the floured side is moistened. Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of the wonton wrapper on the moistened side. Fold wrapper in half over the mixture. Seal the edges and gently flatten the filling to press out air bubbles and allow for more even cooking. Place the assembled mandu on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Repeat until filling mixture is gone. This makes about 50.

Tip #1 While assembling, to keep the pile of (yet to be used) wrappers from drying out, I cover them with a couple layers of paper towel, slightly damp on the top. If the towel dries out I just sprinkle with a little more water.

Tip #2 You can freeze them on a lined cookie sheet in a single layer. Make sure they are not touching each other and the skins are not too damp. (Damp ones, sprinkle cornstarch on the paper) After they are frozen solid, you can store them in a large zippered freezer bag until ready to cook. Never defrost.

To make yaki mandu, heat about 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat in a frypan. Place fresh or frozen mandu in frypan leaving a little space around them (so they don't stick). When the mandu starts to sizzle add a few tablespoons to 1/4 cup water to the pan and cover until the top of the mandu are steamed through, slightly translucent and wrinkly. The filling should feel firm to the touch. Bottoms should be golden brown. I flip them for a couple minutes more. Transfer to a plate and enjoy the dipping sauce of your choice. I used a soy sauce/ white vinegar dip. Traditionally a 2:1 ratio.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, so much easier than mom's. Will have to try it soon. You are amazing. When do you find the time? How about a little sleep once in a while?

    ReplyDelete