Saturday, June 26, 2010

G20 and the Eaton Centre


So...Toronto is hosting the G20/G8. Going in, I thought the expense, inconvenience to the city would be bad. You always hear about other cities, riot police, demonstrators, bombs, etc, but did I actually believe that this would happen in our city? Not really.
Today our downtown core was in lockdown. I was at work, when Jane calls me that she heard that on the radio. I'm scheduled to work at the Eaton Centre tomorrow all day 10am-7pm. I called the store to find out what's going on. They were in lockdown. Apparently some police cars were on fire, just outside and some protesters were smashing windows and others throwing bleach on random passersby. Lovely. Protests and sit ins were happening all over. So the whole downtown core from Broadview to Bathurst, Bloor to Front was on Lock down. There is no TTC streetcar/bus/subway service. No Go Transit. Most hospitals locked down (one was still accepting only some emergency cases). The Eaton Centre was locked down. No one in or out. The store closed their door around 3pm and people weren't allowed to leave until after 6pm. (After the mall was technically closed)
I called the mall security tonight to find out any news about the mall for tomorrow. Apparently they are "Business as usual". We'll see how brilliant a plan that is. Meanwhile, I'm planning on leaving my car at Di's and taking the streetcar in. At least it's not supposed to rain tomorrow. I might be in for a long stroll.

1 comment: