Monday, July 26, 2010

Back from Comic-con

So I just got back to Las Vegas from my 4 days in San Diego and Comic-Con. The weather in Southern California was not what I would have expected. It was cold in the morning and in the evening. Dreary. Sunny during the middle of the day when the sun burned off the clouds. But it was still not warm. High of 67F. I was prepared for it but the other ladies were not. It was amazing how the whole city embraces Comic-Con. The references are everywhere.





As for Comic-Con, it was awesome! It was full of some of the longest lines I have ever experienced and I didn't get a chance to see everything, like the big movie stuff. But I did see all the TV panels I had listed on my wishlist. The Big Bang Theory, The Vampire Diaries, Castle, Chuck, Family Guy, Joss Whedon, V, Fringe, Bones, Glee...Some others too. I took hundreds of pictures I need to upload when I get home. I didn't get any autographs myself but my cousin did get me a personalized copy of one of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood books. I had a few celebrity sightings at the hotel. Penny from Big Bang (she's so tiny) Morgan from Chuck, Scott Wolf, Joel McHale from Community.








The hotel was beautiful. It was white and spacious, right on the water. Close to the venue but just far enough away not to be crazy. I knew I was somewhere different the moment I stepped onto the elevator and saw the mural on the walls...The whole interior of the elevator was covered in one big mural of True Blood. The promo image of all the characters in the woods. The first time I saw it I gasped. Later on in a crowded elevator, I wondered aloud, how difficult it would be to get this wallpaper for my room...(I heard a few bursts of laughter, then agreement from the crowd)



Saturday night, all my efforts in Las Vegas to get a costume for Sooky's birthday dinner paid off. I had ordered the costume to be sent to the hotel. Queen Amidala. 7 ladies went out for dinner. Three of us, myself and Melina and Sooky, in their Sailor Moon costumes were the only ones dressed up. Sooky appreciated the effort I made, since she knows that is totally not my thing. I did look pretty good. But, to be honest, it was like dressing up for Halloween. Nobody bats an eye at it. You see so many people dressed up, wearing crazy, elaborate, or just plain weird costumes at Comic-Con...people could care less. People look, but nobody stares. This guy at the restaurant wanted to take our picture but we wouldn't let him. (Sooky does not like her picture posted anywhere)
Now that I know what Comic-Con is about and how it works, I'll know for next time. After the ordeal of trying to get tickets this time I already bought a ticket for next year. I have until next June to decide if I want to go. Otherwise I can get a full refund. If anyone wants to go next year, let me know. I can give you the inside scoop.



2 comments: