Thursday, May 27, 2010

Burgers

Every week we have Free Technique Classes at Williams-Sonoma.
This past weekend was Burgers. Normally a follow up class happens on the following monday, but since Monday was Victoria Day, we had to have the class on Tuesday evening.
Both Debbie and Cailey, who taught and assisted for Sunday are not available to work on Tuesdays, so last week Nancy (my manager) asked me if I would fill in. I've taught plenty of classes in the past, all the baking and some of the cooking topics, but generally I hate doing them. It has nothing to do with confidence or insecurity. It's like homework, an essay or science project. You spend days going through the recipes and learning the facts and tips and information the company wants you to talk about, demonstrate, sell. It's tedious and labour intensive. You need time for prep and set up...you get the picture. So, I spent most of my Sunday off (of a long weekend) looking through, studying, planning. I spoke to Debbie, for tips, suggestions and feedback. I spent 2 hours prepping, getting all the equipment and supplies, setting the stage.
At 6:30pm, out the 12 people who signed up...1 person came. Just brutal. Worse still, Annie had warned me about a potential problem participant who asked too many questions and was very disruptive, who she suspected had some visually impairment. She was the one person. She clearly announces upon her arrival that she can't stay too long, only 45 min, so could we do the chicken/turkey burgers first. She is so visually impaired that she reads the handout with her coke bottle glasses actually touching the paper. So, most of my demonstration had to be adjusted to be almost under her nose. It was hysterical. My assistant manager Jason, just shook his head in disbelief at the wasted effort. Eventually a few customers (3) who came in to shop joined in the demonstration and my homemade mayonnaise and chicken/turkey burger sliders and feta/carmelized balsamic onion filled beef burgers got sampled. The majority of the meat was cooked off and sampled today. At least, it didn't go to waste. At least they were delicious....

No comments:

Post a Comment