Thursday, March 17, 2011

Short Rib recipe




Since my parents have been away in Florida, (10 weeks and counting) my brother and I haven't had much Korean food. In fact, apart from the occasional instant noodle bowl, I haven't eaten much of the kimchi that my aunt gave me. (That's Cat's mom's way of taking care of us.) 2 weeks ago, Larraine and I had talked about a Korean braised short rib recipe that I hadn't made in ages and promised her the recipe. Then last week my brother mentioned how long it had been since we had those short ribs...too long. So, before I sent Larraine my recipe, I made it. I carefully measured everything and made a couple of adjustments. It was a little on the sweet side, but still delicious. I took some to work for lunch last Saturday. Laura and Claudette happened to be there while I was heating it up, so I offered them a taste. Both of them asked me for the recipe so I thought I should post it. So tender...fall of the bone, yummy goodness. I'll have to make it again soon.

Carolyn's Korean Braised Short Ribs

5lbs short ribs cut into 1 1/2" long pieces. Trim excess fat if very fatty. If the chunks of meat are very large, I cut the meat into smaller chunks, bite sized pieces, still attached to the bone.

3/4 cup dark soy sauce

3 tbsp sesame oil

1/2-2/3 cup brown sugar (to taste) (I used 2/3 cup)

4-6 cloves of garlic minced (I used 6)

1-2 medium onions cut into medium sized slices/chunks

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp korean hot chili flakes ( To taste)

1/2 cup beef stock

Add everything into a big pot, except the stock. I use a LC 5.5qt cast iron dutch oven. I toss all the ingredients together until it's mixed thoroughly. Then I add the stock along the side, careful not to "rinse" the meat.I turn on the heat to medium/low. I heat until everything is bubbling. (Usually about 15-20min) Then I turn the heat down to low, just above minimum. Every 30-40 min, I give the whole mixture a turn. I cook until the meat is so tender it practically falls off the bone. Another 2 hours total. If the sauce gets too reduced, just add a little water and heat, but you should have plenty. When it's nearly finished, skim off the excess fat. (There will be quite a bit) Serve over white rice or garlic mashed potato. Serves 4-5 hungry people,

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, but where are the pictures?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Kalbi-jeem right? You forgot to add the "moo", my fave part!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom doesn't usually add the "moo". She adds cabbage instead. I omitted the cabbage for the non koreans. :)

    ReplyDelete