Wednesday, January 4, 2012

NYE at Barque Smokehouse and last minute notice again!

For the last few years we've celebrated New Year's Eve at Ferrovia. This year we decided to try something different. Nelson arranged reservations for the 5pm seating at Barque Smokehouse on Roncesvalles. The 5pm seating (or the Geriatric Seating as I called it) was perfect since I was finished work at 4:30pm. It was delicious but a crazy amount of food. Competition Chicken Thighs with Apple Fennel Slaw and Boston Bibb lettuce. Glazed Baby Back Ribs with pork belly studded Baked beans. Wilshire Farms Pulled Pork Shoulder with garlic crostinis, red onion compote and Barques Signature sauces. Brisket slices and Burnt Ends with sauteed kale and paprika dusted potato chips, and finally Southern style Galette des Rois with bourbon spiked almond cream.
It started innocently enough, a single chicken thigh with the salad. I thought delicious but small portion, perfect for pacing though. The ribs were delicious. I would come back for them. 3 ribs each. Nelson ordered us a side of smoked bacon to try. Pulled pork, good but not my favourite. The portion was huge! I was full after that. It didn't stop me from eating the brisket but I couldn't fully enjoy it. Vivian couldn't even finish the brisket. It was way too much food for her. i definitely would go back. Just not too soon. They have a nice patio. I can picture us sitting there on a warm summer night enjoying those ribs...yummy.
While I was eating, at 6:04pm, I get a text message from Diana asking me if I was going to Uncle John and Aunt Sandy's on New Year's day. Apparently, Uncle John notified her that morning. Talk about last minute notice. Brutal. I called my parents to find out if they were going. They decided not to. With my brother out of town, I was once again going to be my family's representative. After dinner, I headed to Cat's parents' place to pick her up then we swung by my place to pick up some ingredients to make my Chocolate Chunk Cookies and Vanilla Cupcakes. We baked and spent time with Gracie and Hoseok, ringing in 2012. 2011 went by so fast. Hopefully 2012 will be my best one ever.
Note. Your eyes are not deceiving you...that IS smoked bacon rimming the Caesars. Also, that just "looks" a lot like my Jewish friend Nurit enjoying the ribs. It's really not her at all.:) Nelson knows and fully expects he'll be going to Hell for that.

1 comment:

  1. This needs to go on our list of places to visit on our next trip to TO.

    ReplyDelete