Sunday, April 24, 2011

Crab and Sweet Corn Soup

During our lunch at Wah Sing, I did not eat any "meat" dishes. It was Good Friday. During Lent, I didn't eat meat on fridays and every week made a batch of Crab and Sweet Corn soup from a recipe I found online. The first time I made it, I was eating it by myself. My brother hadn't been too interested in the prospect, so I made him a pizza instead. As I was eating the soup, my brother, asked what I was eating. The smell was getting to him. I offered him a bowl. As he was eating it, he commented that he had no idea how good the soup would be. He had a second bowl. The next week, when I mentioned the soup, he automatically said yes.

So I mentioned to my cousins about the soup. They wanted me to give them the recipe, so I thought I would post it.

Meredith, you can substitute little chunks of chicken breast. (Probably 1 large breast) I would mix it with the ginger uncooked then add it to the chicken broth to cook for a couple of minutes(3 1/2 cups), then add the corn. By the time everything comes to a boil, it should be all cooked. Just keep the chicken chunks small. Enjoy!


Sweet Corn Soup with Crabmeat


3/4 tsp finely grated fresh ginger (I use a rasp)

3/4 cup drained canned crabmeat (I use a 120gr can of President's Choice Chunk Crab Meat)

2 tsp cornstarch

4 tsp water

3 cups chicken broth

1 14 fl oz can creamed corn

1 12 fl oz can corn niblets, drained

1 tsp soy sauce

1/2 tsp granulated sugar

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (4 turns of the pepper mill, 1 pinch?)


In a small bowl, stir the chopped ginger into the crabmeat. In a separate small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water.In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth, creamed corn, corn niblets, soy sauce, sugar, and pepper to a boil, stirring occasionally.Add the crabmeat and return to a boil. Re-stir the corn starch and water and pour it into the soup, stirring quickly to thicken. Bring back to a boil.
Remove the soup from heat and enjoy! The soup reheats very nicely. We always add a squirt of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce...Mmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment