Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Kimchi anyone?

Cat's dad cuts all the nappa cabbage. He's so proud of the job he's done.

After the cabbage has been brined completely cleaned and rinsed.
It rests, waiting to be flavoured.

The long tradition of child labour continues in this house.
Gracie finds a creative way to prevent her eyes from watering from the green onions.

The marinating sauce.

The completed kimchi. Waiting to ferment. Yum!


We've been talking for years about learning how to make Kimchi from Cat's mom. She's a fantastic cook, who's cooking can be descibed as slow food. She is painstakingly meticulous when making her traditional dishes. With Mad and Cat living away from home, I've long since felt that it would eventually fall on me to continue her classic recipes. This was one of my opportunities. We made Kimchi (Spicy pickled cabbage) and Kalbi (Marinated short ribs).

When I arrived home, I announced to my mom that I learned how to make Kimchi. Later on when she mentioned that we are running low on Kimchi, I asked her how she felt about me making it next time...She smiled but didn't say anything.

2 comments:

  1. Go for it! I can think of no one better than you to take this on. I know it's going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Carol!!
    Kim-jang at carol's house, I'll bring my tarp!

    ReplyDelete