Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Olympics

For the past 2 weeks, I've been glued to my TV. Being a fan of sport in general, I've always been enamored with the stories and performances of any Olympics. A feeling of patriotic pride overwhelming me. This year's Vancouver Olympics has increased that feeling tenfold. The Olympics taking place here in Canada, the feeling of pride at our athlete's accomplishments and just the pride of being Canadian. I can feel myself tear up a little every time I hear our national anthem being played after our athletes have won gold. Everyday at work, we excitedly talk about what happened last night. When I was working the evening the Canada/Russia hockey game was on, without being asked, 3 different people called me with scoring updates throughout the evening. The sense of unity, across the country as Canadians is the strongest I've ever felt. Regardless of what happens tomorrow afternoon, (the Canadian Men's hockey team has to win gold!), I'll miss the routine I've developed over the last 2 weeks. Hopefully the pride and unity we feel about being Canadian will last a little longer. Go Canada!

2 comments:

  1. We are conflicted when Canada, USA and Korea compete against each other. We try to stay neutral, and have been chanting, "You are all gold!" The only time it was really Korean was when Kim Yu Na skated. Olympics is a special thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. STephanie and I had also gotten into a routine where we would watch all the events and then run around pretending to be the athletes. She has mastered the ready position of the speed skaters; I would say "Go" and she would run around the house. Then we would have the medal ceremony. It was fun. Being here in Korea, we cheered for Korea against the US in all the ice events, and of course for both Canada and Korea when they were up against each other. Sorry Cat, but we couldn't help but boo the American skating team as Ohno seemed to always be there to turn thing awry for both the Korean and Canadian teams. ANyway, I told my husband that I will probably go into withdrawl as I won't know what to do with myself;-)

    ReplyDelete